- Call for Doctoral IFFR Fellows: The Institute of Finance and Financial Regulation invites applications from exceptional candidates for the Ph.D. Program at the Department of Banking and Financial Management at the University of Piraeus. The successful applicant will be an IFFR Doctoral Fellow and will conduct her/his doctoral thesis in the areas of research covered by IFFR. A rigorous academic training will be offered. Information on the Doctoral Program of the Department of Banking and Financial Management can be found here. Interested applicants can contact the Ph.D. Director Dr Michail Anthropelos and the IFFR Director Professor George Skiadopoulos.
- On February 3, 2020, IFFR organised an exclusive evening event on Financial Technology: Advances and Challenges at Ecali Club, Athens, Greece. The event was kindly sponsored by John S. Latsis Public Foundation, and it was well attended by senior invited delegates. For more information, visit https://iffr.gr/events/ . The event has attracted wide attention and it is cited in various sites, such as Capital.gr , Athens and Macedonia Agency Press , and Economia .
- Tarun Ramadorai will be joining the Review of Financial Studies (RFS) as an editor. Tarun previously served as an associate editor of RFS. His first day will be March 1, 2020. RFS is considered to be one of the top three academic journals in Finance.
- Michalis Anthropelos took a sabbatical leave during the Fall 2019, and visited the Questrom School of Business of Boston University.
- Article of George Skiadopoulos and Kostas Lambrinoudakis (University of Leeds) at Kathimerini (Sunday Edition) on the need for firms to set a prudent leverage. To see the article, click here.
- Interview of George Skiadopoulos at the Athens-Macedonia News Agency on how IFFR bridges the gap between the finance industry and academic research. For the full interview, click here . The interview has also been widley reproduced by media and professional associations such as, Economia, Fortune Greece, Politik.gr, Thespress.gr, Business Daily, the Athens Chamber of Tradesmen, and the Technical Chamber of Greece.
- The international Conference Understanding Challenges for the Greek Economy took place at the Bank of Greece on September 12, 2019. The Conference was organised by IFFR, and it was well attended by delegates from Banks, Institutional Investors, Law Firms, Media, Ministries, Pension Funds, Supervisory bodies, and Universities. For more information, visit https://iffr.gr/events/ . The event has attracted the attention of media such as in.gr , CNN Greece, Capital.gr, Kerdos, Naftemporiki, Οικονομική Επιθεώρηση, and Proto Thema.
- George Skiadopoulos has been admitted as a member to the Macro-Finance Society. The goal of the society is is to advance and disseminate high-quality research in Macro Finance, which is an area broadly defined at the intersection of financial economics and macroeconomics.
- Professor Gikas Hardouvelis (University of Piraeus, CEPR, and National Bank of Greece), and Ms Elena Ambrosiadou (IKOS Asset Management Ltd) have joined the Board of IFFR Fellows.
- Assistant Professor Ioannis Spyridopoulos (American University, Kogod School of Business) will be visiting IFFR over July 2019.
- The Hellenic Capital Market Commission (HCMC) appointed Associate Professor Panagiotis Staikouras and Professor George Skiadopoulos as members of the team of experts who advise the HCMC Innovation Hub on Financial Technology. For more information, click here .
- The paper A New Predictor of U.S. Real Economic Activity: The S&P 500 Option Implied Risk Aversion co-authored by George Skiadopoulos, Eirini Konstantinidi of the University of Manchester, Renato Faccini of Queen Mary University of London and Sylvia Sarantopoulou-Chiourea at the Independent Authority for Public Revenue in Greece (forthcoming in the leading journal Management Science) has been shortlisted in the Media Relations category for the Queen Mary University of London Engagement and Enterprise Awards 2019 for Best Published Research Campaign.
- Kazuhiro Hiraki and Professor George Skiadopoulos have received the Best Paper Award for their paper The Contribution of Frictions to Expected Returns presented at the 25th Annual Meeting of the German Finance Association at Trier, Germany.
- Dr Angie Andrikogiannopoulou and Dr Filippos Papakonstantinou have been awarded a BA/Leverhulme Research Grant to study the anti-social nature of reciprocity.
- Dr Angie Andrikogiannopoulou presented the paper Heterogeneity in Risk Preferences: Evidence from a Real-World Betting Market at the 4th sportseconomics.org workshop held in 23rd and 24th of July 2018 at University College Cork, Ireland. The theme of the workshop was sports’ betting and a selection of technical academic papers in the area were presented.
- Professor Dimitris Papanikolaou received the Best Paper Award for his paper Developing Novel Drugs at the 2018 London Business School Summer Finance Symposium.
- George Skiadopoulos presented the paper Jumps in Option Prices and their Determinants: Real-Time Evidence from the E-mini S&P 500 option at the 2018 Conference on Research on Economic Theory and Econometrics (CRETE) in Tinos Island, Greece.
- The paper A New Predictor of U.S. Real Economic Activity: The S&P 500 Option Implied Risk Aversion co-authored by George Skiadopoulos, Eirini Konstantinidi of the University of Manchester, Renato Faccini of Queen Mary University of London and Sylvia Sarantopoulou-Chiourea at the Independent Authority for Public Revenue in Greece (forthcoming in the leading journal Management Science) has attracted the attention of media (Forbes, Market Watch, Wall Street Journal, Kathimerini (Sunday Edition) ) and investment companies ( Morningstar ). The researchers find that the implied relative risk aversion (IRRA) outperforms existing U.S. economic indicators, once it is used in conjunction with them.